Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Rock/Pop Songs For the YA Writer - The Writing Process Version!

Quick Update: So, long time, no blog! I’ve been on summer vacation for the month, two month-ish and have only had glimpses of the internet, but never enough to truly blog and catch up with everyone in the writersophere. So how is everyone? Having a kickass summer, blah summer? Has anyone nearly melted to death yet? If you feel like hearing my not-as-exciting update post, check it out ah here.

Song Stuck In My Head: "I Don't Want to Wait" by Paula Cole. What? They were playing a special on the "kids of Dawson's Creek" when I started drafting this. :p

To be one of those crazy writer people is hard work. There’s the mood swings, the late nights, the laziness, the lack of touch with reality, the conversations with pets when no one else is around (okay, that could just be me…:/). So why not let a little music bring you up?

Since I didn’t get a chance to do a Playlist of the Month in the first week of June, July, OR August, as scheduled, and haven’t done any sort of writing post in ages, I decided to combine the both. BTW, no links today - I'm under watch *suspicious wandering eyes* but as soon as I get to the library every song will have links.

Ready?

THE STAGES OF A WRITER - Le Rock (and Pop) Version.

Stage One: Holyskittles-that-thing-you-just-said-just-friggin-made-my-brain-explode-I-must-write-this-down-I-MUST-WRITE-THIS-DOWN
Translation: Idea.
Musical translation: Rob Thomas’ “This Is How a Heart Breaks”

Stage Two: Yay, let’s come up with some of that extra cool stuff to add to this! Oh! Maybe I can finally have a character who has a pet unicorn! YESSS!
Translation: Prewriting/plotting (pantsers might skip this stage, haha)
Musical translation: Joan Jett and the Blackhearts’ “I Want You”

Stage Three: Okay, so now I just have to make sense of this PURE GENIUS.
Translation: Beginning of the drafting process.
Musical Translation: AFI’s “Medicate”

Stage Four: No, no, no, spark…stay! WHERE DO YOU THINK YOU’RE GOING SPARKY-SPARK!
Translation: First writing blocks/fading “spark”
Musical Translation: White Rabbits’ “Percussion Gun”

Stage Five: *sob* WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. *sob*
Translation: Doubt/on-and-off writing
Musical Translation: Atreyu’s “Falling Down”

Stage Six: Must. Hold. On. Must. Make. Mother. Proud.
Translation: Persevering. Also revising/editing
Musical Translation: P!nk’s “Please Don’t Leave Me”

Stage Seven: I am in this for the long run. TIME TO FINISH UP THIS MESS!
Translation: Final drafting and revisions
Musical Translation: Kansas’ “Carry On My Wayward Son” (BTW, does anyone else think of the show Supernatural when they hear this song? Haha)

Stage Eight: DON’T JUDGE ME!
Translation: Sharing/beta readers
Musical Translation: Incubus’ “Dig”

Stage Nine: Please don’t hate me. Don’t stomp on my dreams.
Translation: Agent time!
Musical Translation: Lady Gaga’s “Edge of Glory”

Annnnd should all go well, you might just reach stage ten. There’s no words that could properly describe stage ten. So let’s just stick with the musical translation, shall we?



Okay everyone, have a nice week. Or two weeks. Three weeks? However long until I revisit the world wide web, let’s go with that. After all, school is kicked back into gear, so I am currently drooling for a job. This means a) money! gas money to go to library! It also means b) I can finally pay off those library fees that makes the library hate me. Yay!

Ah well. One can only pray and hope.

Later!

2 comments:

  1. Yay!!! I've missed you so! You're so hilarious. I go through all the stages except for stage two, and of course, I've never gotten far enough to look for an agent. LOL. When I saw We Are The Champions for stage ten...I couldn't stop laughing. Good choice. Anyway, so glad you're back. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. LBH! So glad to hear from you too! You're one of the people I've super-missed. BTW, once I get the chance, I'm commenting the crap out of your blog. Muhahaha. Later!

    ReplyDelete